MONTEVALLO, Ala. – Alabama’s premier, all-woodworking festival will celebrate “Shavings, Smoke, and Sound” during its 2nd year in Montevallo’s Orr Park on September 7, 2019. This ALABAMA 200-endorsed event will be held from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Admission is free.
Enjoy a uniquely Montevallo event with chainsaw wood carving, woodworking artist vendors, a whittling contest, live music, and a wooden boat race. There will also be a classic car show—the 18th Annual Cars by the Creek—a variety of children’s activities, and food vendors on site. Festival-goers will find everything from wooden wooden bowls, vases, jewelry, and toys, to handcrafted furniture, knives, ornaments, and more.
The chainsaw carving exhibition begins at 10 a.m. and will include a panel of well-known artists: Heather Bailey of Calera, Alabama; Justin Bailey of Calera, Alabama; Corey Lancaster of Princeton, North Carolina; Abby Peterson of Webster, Kentucky; and Justin Driver of Farmington, Kentucky. An auction of the items carved throughout the day will be held at 5 p.m.
Live music begins at 6 p.m. with Phil & Walon, a local acoustic duo who met at the University of Montevallo and perform everything from vintage country, rock, blues and gospel, to pop.
The Vegabonds follow. This Alabama-born, Nashville-bred group is on a musical pilgrimage to spread the gospel of pure, unadulterated New South Rock after completing three European tours and four full-length albums.
Festival headliner 20 Ride is America’s #1 Zac Brown tribute band. From traditional country, to Caribbean rhythm, to sultry soul and body moving funk, 20 RIDE brings all the best Zac has to offer, including mega hits like “Chicken Fried,” “Colder Weather,” “Free,” “Toes,” and of course “Highway 20 Ride”!
Tinglewood Festival is inspired by a special section of Orr Park, where local artist Tim Tingle has carved faces and creatures into the dead parts of living cedar trees since a fateful ice storm in 1993. The festival is organized by the Montevallo Chamber of Commerce, Montevallo Main Street, and the Montevallo Arts Council as a signature event for the City of Montevallo.
For more information, visit tinglewoodfestival.com, or visit the “Tinglewood” Facebook Page.
- An award will be given to the “Best Woody” at the 18th Annual Cars by the Creek Car Show. Photo by Fotowerks Custom Photography.
- Intricate works of wooden art by Montevallo artist Essie Ebrahimi, winner of “Best in Show” at last year’s Tinglewood Festival. Photo by Fotowerks Custom Photography.
- Corey Lancaster of Princeton, North Carolina, returns this year as one of the festival’s featured chainsaw carvers. Pieces carved throughout the day will be auctioned off at 5 p.m. Contributed.
- Justin Bailey of Calera, Alabama, will demonstrate chainsaw carving at the festival. Contributed.
- The Vegabonds will rock the park with their special brand of New South Rock. Photo by Loud Handle Productions.
- Zac Brown tribute band 20 Ride is this year’s festival headliner. Photo by Galaxy Party Management.
- Phil & Walon kick off the live music at 6 p.m. with a range of songs from vintage country, rock, blues and gospel, to pop. Photo by Lee Dunnie.